Call Us 07487559670

57 Stroud Road, London, N4 3EG

09:30a.m to 07.00p.m Monday to Friday

Enquire About Tax Rebate

A tax rebate, also known as a tax rebate, is like getting money back from the government (in the UK, it's HMRC) when you have paid more tax than you should have. Let's say you've had to spend your money on work-related stuff, like travel or other essential expenses – well, you can get the tax you paid on those things back. 

What Are Tax Rebates?

Tax rebates are simple to understand. You can ask for some back if you've paid more tax than you should in a year. The tricky part is showing the government that you deserve that money back. That's where it gets tricky for many people. It's not about understanding taxes but having the expertise to prove your case.

Your taxes are usually sorted out automatically through the PAYE system if you have a regular job. But, here's the thing - some folks end up paying more tax than they should through PAYE. This makes them ask, "Do I get some tax money back?"

You could end up paying too much tax for various reasons. Every year, around £300 million in unclaimed tax refunds goes unused. 

Just so you know, when you have paid HMRC more money than you owe, you are authorized to get it back – that's a tax refund, and it's legal. 

Knowing you deserve a tax rebate is just the commencement. The tax folks can only return your money if they know what you are owed.

Do I Get a Tax Rebate?

When using your money for required work expenses, you can ask for a tax rebate on the tax you paid for these costs. Some examples of such expenses are:

  • Using your vehicle for work travel If your employer does not cover all your costs, you can get tax money back for your mileage.

  • Public transport Your ticket expenses can count, and you get a tax rebate.

  • Food and accommodation costs Some of these important costs can get you a tax rebate when you are on work travel. 

  • Repair, replacement, and laundry costs Maintaining your uniform, tools, or bag can get a tax rebate from HMRC.

  • Professional subscriptions, union, or license fees You can put these expenses in your tax rebate request if needed for your job.

Training course expenses If you cover the cost of your necessary training, you can get some tax money back.

What Do I Need to Claim a Tax Rebate?

HMRC can be slow, but typically, you will get your tax refund in about 8-10 weeks. 

When someone expert in taxation takes care of your claim, they ensure things run as smoothly as possible. The sooner they begin, the sooner you'll have your money.

How Many Years Back Can I Get a Tax Rebate?

You can get a tax rebate for up to 4 years, even if you have changed jobs, started your own business, or stopped working during that time.

How Does a Tax Rebate Work?

You can qualify for a tax rebate from HMRC for many reasons, but figuring out where you stand can take time and effort. 

It all burns down to proving what you are owed, which can be challenging if you are not a tax expert.

Things like work-related expenses (such as travel costs, laundry for your uniform, or professional subscriptions) can make you eligible for a tax rebate, but there's more to it. 

For example, you can still owe a rebate if:

  • You worked only part of the tax year.

  • You are on the wrong tax code.

  • You are self-employed, and your advance payments are too high.

When claiming a mileage tax rebate for work-related travel to temporary places, HMRC will demand to check where you have worked and what it costs you to get there. Compiling evidence about your work expenses makes it easier to get your tax rebate.

Keeping records throughout the year is a smart move.

Remember, HMRC does not prefer to overcharge you. They just need proof of your expenses to calculate the right refund.

Does a Tax Rebate Happen Automatically?

If you receive a P800 tax calculation from HMRC, you might not need to go through the process of claiming a tax rebate to get the money you are owed. 

The P800 will show you the amount of tax they think you should have paid. If you are owed money, they will arrange a rebate for you. If you owe more, they will explain how to settle it and might change your tax code.

However, HMRC only sometimes automatically knows when you have paid too much tax. 

For example, if you stop working partway through a tax year, the PAYE system might have taken too much tax from your monthly pay. Being on the wrong tax code can also cause issues that HMRC may not be aware of. In these cases, you will not receive a P800 and must claim a tax rebate to get what you are owed. 

One common cause HMRC will not send you a P800 is if you have work-related expenses that they do not know about. This often leads people to miss out on tax rebates.

What Are the Laws for Tax Rebates?

Are tax refunds allowed? Absolutely! You are not trying to cheat someone when you claim a tax rebate. It's not cheating; it's part of the system. Tax rebates exist for a reason.

Can I Claim a Tax Refund for Cleaning My Work Clothes?

You are eligible for a uniform tax rebate for special work clothing you have to wear, like a shirt with a company logo or a full uniform. It's all about clothing necessary for your job and could help you get a tax rebate.

If managing Tax Returns in London seems like a complex task, there's a more convenient solution. HMRC provides a Fixed Rate Expenses system designed specifically for those in London, which determines predetermined refund values related to the upkeep of your work attire. Rather than grappling with documentation and computations, you can rely on these established amounts from HMRC to simplify the process.

Can I Claim Money Back for the Cost of My Meals in My Tax Refund?

You can use these expenses to claim a tax rebate when you are away for work and have to cover your food and accommodation. Not articulating small change here – a typical food tax rebate could be worth £250-£500 a year!

But it's important to note that "traveling for work" does not include your regular commute to a permanent office. To be eligible for a tax refund on food expenses, you need to be traveling to temporary workplaces.

And it's not just the big meals that count. Everything from your morning tea on the job to the snack you pick up during your break can help you get some tax back. 

Hold onto your receipts and cash machine statements, or take photos of the menu board – any info you can provide to HMRC will prove what you owe.

Can I Claim a Tax Refund for Buying My Work Tools?

When you are exploring to claim a tax refund for maintaining or replacing necessary tools or equipment for your job, there are a couple of things to remember:

You can not claim when you first buy these items. Only the costs for repairing or replacing them can earn you a tax refund.

What counts as "essential tools" depends on the type of work you do. For example:

  • Hairdressers might consider scissors or clippers essential.

  • Chefs and kitchen staff could see knives and kitchen equipment as essential.

  • Electricians, carpenters, mechanics, and similar trades may rely on hand tools.

To be eligible for an expense claim, you must cover these costs with your money. If your employer contributes to these expenses, it will affect how much you can claim back from HMRC. If your employer fully reimburses you, you cannot claim for those expenses at all.

What’s the Deadline for Getting a Tax Refund?

You have four years from the end of the tax year you overpaid to claim a refund. If you miss this time limit, you won't be able to get a refund for that tax year. Here are the deadlines for recent tax years:

  • The tax year 2019/20 (ended 5 April 2020): Claim by 5 April 2024

  • The tax year 2020/21 (ended 5 April 2021): Claim by 5 April 2025

  • The tax year 2021/22 (ended 5 April 2022): Claim by 5 April 2026

  • The tax year 2022/23 (ended 5 April 2023): Claim by 5 April 2027

  • The tax year 2023/24 (ended 5 April 2024): Claim by 5 April 2028

In certain cases of "official error," HMRC might consider issuing refunds for years before 2019/20 under 'Extra-statutory Concession B41.' For more details about this concession, you can check below.

What Can I Do if I Missed the Deadline to Claim a Refund?

If you believe you have paid too much tax in years when you can no longer make claims, there is a rule called Extra-statutory Concession B41. 

It allows HMRC to offer you a tax refund for those earlier years. This concession applies when HMRC or another government department, like the Department for Work and Pensions, makes a mistake in your tax matters, and there is no question about the facts of the case. Here's a part of the concession:

Repayments of tax will be made in respect of claims made outside the statutory time limit where an overpayment of tax has arisen because of an error by HMRC or another Government Department, and where there is no dispute or doubt as to the facts.

Tax Refund Scams

HMRC will never contact you via email, text, WhatsApp, or phone to inform you about a tax refund.

If you do get such a message claiming to be from HMRC, it's a scam or "phishing."

Phishing is when someone sends a fake message, pretending to be a legitimate organization (like HMRC). They aim to steal your personal and financial details or infect your computer with harmful software.

You can visit HMRC's website for more details on avoiding and reporting internet scams and phishing. They provide information on legitimate contacts, show examples of scams, including phishing emails, and help you recognize various tax-related scams.

What are the clear signs of a scam email?

Signs of a scam email include:

  • Poor spelling and grammar.

  • Urgent language pressuring you to act quickly.

  • No personalized greeting like 'Dear Hannah Greene.'

  • Incorrect 'From' addresses – Genuine government emails use the format name@[department] However, be cautious, as some phishing emails can mimic official-looking endings like

What to do if you get a scam email?


  • Stay calm.

  • Forward the email to HMRC ( to assist in stopping scams.

  • Contact HMRC through their official phone lines if unsure about the message's authenticity.

Do not:

  • Reply to the email.

  • Click on any links.

  • Download any attachments.

What’s the Result of Clicking on a Link in a Scam Email?

If you click on a link in a scam email, you will probably be directed to a website that asks you to update or confirm your personal and financial information. This might include your birthdate, login details, account information, credit card numbers, or PINs. Alternatively, you might unknowingly start downloading harmful software (malware) onto your computer, which could put your data and information in danger of theft, loss, attacks, or damage.

Claim Your Tax Rebate Today with FCCA Accounts and Tax LTD

Unlock the potential of your tax rebate with Accounting Firms in London. Our expert team will guide you through the process of claiming back your hard-earned money from overpaid taxes. Whether it's work-related expenses, uniform upkeep, or tool maintenance, we've got you covered. Don't miss out on what you're owed—contact us today and secure your tax rebate hassle-free.

The Expertise You Need

Don't let the intricacies of tax rebates overwhelm you. We specialize in providing VAT Returns Services in London, ensuring that your hard-earned money is returned to you from HMRC. Whether it's uniform upkeep, work-related travel, or necessary tools, we've got you covered. Our team will guide you through the process, making sure you have all the required documents to support your claim, including London CIS Return documentation and London Payroll Services information. Trust FCCA Accounts and Tax LTD to maximize your rebate. Get started today and take control of your finances.


In summary, the possibility of securing a tax refund (rebate) emerges when you have paid extra taxes. To verify your eligibility for such a refund, check online via any valid tool, which will walk you through the requisite methods if you have overpaid in diverse domains, including income from employment, job-related expenditures such as remote work costs, fuel, occupational clothing, or tools, pension disbursements, Self-Assessment tax submissions, redundancy payments, UK-based earnings when residing abroad, interest gains from savings or payment protection insurance (PPI), income derived from life or pension annuities, and overseas income.


What Kind of Expenses Can I Claim for a Tax Rebate?

You can claim a tax rebate for expenses related to work, including things like vehicle usage for work travel, public transport costs, food and accommodation expenses, repair and maintenance of work-related items, professional subscriptions, union fees, and training course expenses.

What Documents Do I Need to Claim a Tax Rebate?

To claim a tax rebate, you'll need documents such as records of temporary work locations, monthly pay stubs, receipts for work expenses, photo ID, proof of residence, and any other relevant paperwork.

How Much Tax Can I Get Back Through a Rebate?

Typically, you can get back around 20% of the expenses you've incurred for your job. The exact amount may vary depending on your tax situation.

How Long Does It Take To Receive a Tax Rebate?

It usually takes about 8-10 weeks to receive a tax rebate from HMRC, but it may be quicker if handled by a tax expert.

We Are Proud to Say, FCCA Accounts is Your Best Financial Advisor.

Accreditions & Memberships!

  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo
  • logo